Help us make Mixer better for everyone.

Channel Progression Opt Out

In reference to: https://blog.mixer.com/2019/04/30/mixer-channel-progression-rolling-out-on-5-1/

I would like a way to opt out of this. I do not want to make participation in my channel some sort of competition.

48 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lord Highfixxer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Amayazin9 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The pop-up feature is very challenging when typing as a viewer. If the progression/levelling up was designed to encourage conversation and participation in chat, this style hinders that. Can the notification not be the whole chat window? Or, if you're currently typing, can it not pop up? Having to X out of the notification to finish my sentence is very bothersome.

• Golfhaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get what Mixer is trying to do - gamify the experience of watching streams - but some streamers don't want their stream viewers quantified like this. I would also like the ability to turn this off.

• SisterPaws commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like an option to opt out of this for many of the reasons already listed here. But my main reasons are:

Participation in chat shouldn't be a competition. If people chat it should be because they want to. Not because it gives them points.

It is a system that I've witnessed encourage spam/non meaningful chat.

We don't want something that could change how people treat new community members or make anyone feel less than.

A lot of streamers already have their own ranking system based on hours watched and it works fine. It is tied to hanging out and not a chat competition.

Lurkers shouldn't be put at a disadvantage or made "less than" because they can not or choose not to chat. Many people watch at work and shouldn't feel pressured to chat if they aren't able.

Please give us an opt out feature.

• Greylocke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow streamers to opt out of channel progression in their channel settings, and please give users a switch for it in their chat settings.

This would allow both viewers and streamers to opt-in if they want to, and gives them control of their experience. IMO the Channel Progression ranking system clutters the chat window, rewards mindless spamming in chat, and encourages feelings of social stratification instead of community. Just the opposite of what I'd like my Mixer experience to be.

If some want it, cool. But give us the chance to opt out.

• Hrothmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Followup to an earlier comment of mine:

I was curious about the alignment, so I realigned the progression system to be left of the user name, making the username a point of separation between the colorful progression box and the message content from the person in chat. As a streamer, this makes it easier to spot messages at a glance since you don't have to scan for the ragged alignment as much, but as a viewer, it makes spotting moderator messages easier which can help when trying to inform new viewers to community guidelines.

• Mango commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I personally like the idea - however, all features of a nature of changing the community experience should be down to the streamer as they are driving the community and they should be the ones who have the power to make such drastic choices. Features of this nature should not be forced upon a community but should be a choice by the community leaders if this is something they want. Most streaming communities already have a ranking system implemented by the bot and may not feel a need for a secondary ranking system, especially if there is no way to transfer the standing of the individuals over.

• Lord Highfixxer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that this is live, the "level up" that completely covers chat is especially annoying. As a streamer using the chat pop out there is a 15 second interval where I cannot even see chat.

As a viewer I either wait for this 15 second interval to pass or I have to click it closed.

In all instances it takes cursor focus out of the chat text entry field. This creates a more cumbersome user experience for everyone.

• SkinjaNinja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone else. This feature can make the chat very difficult to read while streaming. I don't hate it as a viewer and could see the appeal for some communities but I would like a way to turn it off. For my purposes as a streamer, it is a pointless number that only makes people start waving their numbers at each other or spamming the chat for hearts. Please make a simple easy way to opt out of the feature.

• JUNKER Gibson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to opt out makes a lot of sense, especially given that it might not fit the vibe of every stream. If a host is worried about it taking focus away from the show or from on-topic conversation, being able to switch this feature off will make sure the game stays the focus of the stream and everyone feels like an equal participant.

• LittleRabbitPaws commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo this opinion. It was specifically mentioned that there would be a way to turn it off on your channel, which there isn't. From my experience in other channels, it encourages spam and doesn't translate to better quality chat interactions (I myself am guilty of this). Personally, I know it would affect me while I'm streaming and I genuinely don't want to know how much people are in/out of my stream

• Hrothmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to second the opt-out option, though primarily from the standpoint of a moderator. The addition of color blocks, additional numbers, and icons, makes it harder for Moderator messages to stand out in chat as well as makes it more visually dense for both streamers and visitors.

Right now the ragged-left alignment of the system combined with sub-badge, brilliant color pallet, and variable username lenghts it makes it hard to read chat and creates visual complexity that makes it harder to read chat, especially at a glance.

I would like an option to disable the display of the ranking system for communication clarity purpose.

• OddDustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this as well. I have secret tanks already and having numbers and extra rank is unwanted. Please add clear and easy Opt out to all features please.

• Captain_Awesome commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would like an opt out function. Mixer is asking for user feedback on customization options and I think an on/off function should be at the top of that list.

Feedback and Knowledge Base