Help us make Mixer better for everyone.

Chat Control

Hey all!

So we're having a rampant issue with toxicity. Now pretty much all of us know that most of the issues in chat we face are coming from small children not supposed to be on the site but that doesn't make dealing with the comments any easier.
A lot of the times we are seeing these comments come directed at many of our female content creators and this issue is causing some of them to stop their streams due to not being able to deal with it anymore.

I'm bringing forward a solution that may help course correct how streamers can deal with the harassment and keep the entertainment factor up.
In chat when a comment comes across that needs to be deleted, a Mod simply deletes like they do now BUT instead of striking it out it does something entirely different.

While still striking it out for regular chat so nobody sees anything at all, allow to to then pop a message that says "*USER NAME* Comment Deleted. Click for details"
That way the comment is completely hidden from streamer view but is still accessible for reporting and dealing with accordingly. I believe this simple fix could potentially lead to a better streaming experience for all genders of content creators across the board.

158 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Backdraft shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EscaPlays commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only would this help out with horrible harassment, but this helps out with spoilers too.

• Backdraft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Joker
        While it appears you've found the right area of conversation that I mean, everyone below you knows what I'm talking about.

The goal is so avoid having to see what it is that was said unless I CHOOSE to. The reason this was brought up is to deal with the ongoing harassment in the community and having a solution. Your idea is SPOT ON to what I'm aiming to see BUT... I shouldn't have to go in and manually do that myself. It should be a feature implemented.

This was to be an open forum to see what people would want to see. When I present ideas, they will always be in such a fashion that everyone can build onto them and we can make an even greater idea off the simple wording of one. If you would like further clarification in my reasoning please reach out to me on Discord!

• NightmareJoker2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MonkeyDKS Well, to me, both the title and the suggestion are confusing (as they're seemingly unrelated or vague), and the comments about some wanting certain things and others wanting certain things moved in curious ways, only add to it.
        Why were all these people up-voting the suggestion, that in all reasonable manner just points out the obvious, that harassment exists, the only appropriate solution to which these days still is human moderation/policing (AI just isn't there, yet, and word filters/white-lists don't work).

As far as blurring deleted messages into unreadable blurbs like in the example I provided, this kind of thing and a user-based chat setting to go with it should be trivial to add for an engineer. I'd go so far that it'd take them less than 15 minutes to make it happen, once someone approves it and lets them.

• MonkeyDKS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@nightmareJoker2 I believe the suggestion is to add an option to blur or block the deleted messages from the streamer themselves without going through an additional step (mouses-over, or clicking on it or something) if they want to go through and make sure their mods are doing what they want.

It's a way for the mod team to help protect the streamers mental state during a stream for things that are particularly mean or vile or inappropriate by not letting the streamer read it at all unless they choose to. Sort of a buffer between the chat and the streamer for their own mental health. Something the streamer could turn on and off in their own settings page.

I didn't know about live-injecting CSS through Chrome before, I might have to look into this.

• NightmareJoker2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure I understand the *suggestion part*. Deleted messages are hidden from view for the audience (viewers who are not the broadcaster, their moderators or staff accounts), and the feature is meant to give a broadcaster, their moderators and to some extent site staff control over what their audience sees, not so much what they themselves see. This is much in the same way the channel audience ratings (family-friendly, teen, mature/18+) are for viewers to decide on appropriate content and not for broadcasters to decide who can watch.
        Deleted messages also always remain available for reporting to those users who can still see them (moderators, channel owners, and staff), so long as they don't refresh the page after the messages were deleted. All messages that are still visible in the chat area, including whispers and deleted ones, should be passed on with a report (though I have no idea where they end up in their Zendesk thing, if at all).

If what you want is the ability for users with access to deleted messages to be able to decide whether they want to see them, would blurring them out, and requiring you to hover over them with the mouse cursor to see them sound amenable to you? If so, try injecting the following CSS into the page (you can do this in the Chrome browser with the Stylebot or "User CSS and JavaScript" extensions):

```
        b-channel-chat-message .message-deleted
        {
        opacity: 0.5;
        text-decoration: line-through;

-webkit-filter: blur(5px);
        -moz-filter: blur(5px);
        -ms-filter: blur(5px);
        -o-filter: blur(5px);
        filter: blur(5px);
        transition: all ease-in-out 0.333s;
        }
        b-channel-chat-message:hover .message-deleted
        {
        -webkit-filter: blur(0);
        -moz-filter: blur(0);
        -ms-filter: blur(0);
        -o-filter: blur(0);
        filter: blur(0);
        }
        ```

What this would look like: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/380961496097882113/463019953596006400/beam-mixer_blur_deleted_messages_example.mp4

• Lady_Bacon_lover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree I am a transgender women and I get harassed on mixer time to time but I has no mods In my stream there harassing leads to them getting my gamer tag sending me toxic messages so yes I support this here lately I hasn't streamed much at all.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know this would really suck for a lot of streamers but if certain female streamers are the continued targets of this kind of toxic behavior would it not make sense for mods to have a 45 second delay in chat so that would give mods a chance to catch and delete comments. I know that would really suck for most of us but if we gave streamers that option i think it might give mods a greater chance at catching those comments before they got to a streamer. Also if a female streamer needs a mod but does not have one available what if Mixer setup a Mod feature for people who could be on call moderators for these streamers. Mods who donate there time and would be sent in for immediate chat control.

• Andy Holley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

plus respect any and all female streamers on mixer on twitch and any other stream site cause i'm good friends with some of them and i always wanna be there as a friend for them whenever they need it

• Andy Holley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree with this cause it's just not right to have these kids commenting stuff in streams like there age and stuff and treating our female streamers like they are with ****** harassmenting comments is just wrong and it needs to be stopped

• Paul Waters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a mod for a female streamer I would like help protect her and the flow of the content, as well as the chat, this is a great idea, as much as a streamer can "ignore" comments they can't not read them all

• Beeyoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’d love this. I’d also like to know if it was a ban or timeout easily too.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base