Help us make Mixer better for everyone.

Age Lockout

With the current influx of Xbox users hitting our chats, most of them being well underage and posting inappropriate things.

Would it be an idea to lock the accounts who haven't entered their DOB from using chat? And those who have entered their DOB into their account and are underage, lock them out of 18+ streams.

And have a flag system where if a user has been flagged as a spammer, or someone who posts inappropriate things be locked out of chat all together. otherwise they will just jump to another channel spreading their filth.

158 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam Wakefield shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mixer is trash young accounts can't sign in yet they have rating for teen rated and 18+ rated streams And whenever they advertise on my Xbox home screen saying something like "watch 30 streams to get some loot boxes" or something like that I can't get them cause I can't log in. It's also dumb because I don't need an account to WATCH I can STILL watch 18+ streams yet I am a child account thanks mixer

• nick Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

everyone would just put there age in as 18 anyway just in case, i did that with many websites until i turned 18

• Crysis Dropzone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a great idea so that no trolls or people trying to get people in trouble for fun are browsing channels. this is a huge need! but Mixer would need to add some kind of age thing so that they dont get past this feature. also add a list to say what ages are allowed in certain age ranges, exp. a 15 year old would fall under teen while a 10 year old might not or something like that.

• shadow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

im 13 but is says i can't login when it says you have to be 13 or older?

• BB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, ability to edit one's comments in here is needed... :D
    See the following comment:
    "DD commented · March 3, 2018 10:48 AM "

• BB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WOW! I wish I could upvote one of the comments in here. According to one parent named "DD" the Mixer app is front an center on Xbox and it doesn't let Parental controls do its job because its not rated teen. WOW. So THAT's what's been a huge part of out problem!

I'd say changing the rating from everyone to teen is the real solution and lets us keep our DOB's to ourselves. Doesn't sound like the lock-out is necessary.

• SReject commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with much of this suggestion's age-related functionality but would prefer an opt-in system for streamers. Along with the maturity settings of a stream there would be an 'Age Enforcement' option where the streamer can select:
    - Disabled: (default) Embodies the current age-related handling
    - Lenient: Stops those with a set DoB under that of the stream's maturity rating from viewing or interacting with the stream and chat.
    - Strict: Same functionality as Lenient but also stops those without a DoB set from viewing or interacting with the stream and chat.

As far as the suggested flag system, I see it as an avenue for abuse. If automated, what is stopping a group of trolls from reporting a targeted individual? Not having it automated means that each individual report would need to be checked by hand which doesn't scale well after a few 1000 users enter a platform.

• KaeliJae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully support this. I currently feel as though the teen or 18+ ratings currently do nothing to prevent children from accessing the streams anyways. I have been full-time for 3+ years and although I have always marked my content as "mature" for adult language, humor, and games, we find ourselves having to moderate those children numerous times daily. It is not the responsibility of a streamer, actor, artist, content creator, entertainer, or any public figure to be a virtual babysitter for parents and censor ourselves just in case someones kids aren't supervised. a built-in lockout into the account would be a blessing, and significantly decrease much of the harassment, trolling and toxicity that kids are often the source of.

• Unlocked commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enhanced parental controls seem like a more appropriate fix than requiring all users to provide their date of birth and then restricting users who are under 18.

• DD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a parent and do not want my kids using mixer since it bypasses all the parental settings of my xbox one. I do not want my children viewing 18plus content or chatting with strangers but there is no way to block that with the current settings. I have call Microsoft and they said it is on mixer to fix . I would love at least a password option for this app so that parents could disable it if possible. It doesn't make sense to have all these parental settings but then put a non removable app front and center that negates any parental controls. I clicked the buttons three times and was in a chat with strangers. Also could easily go in and watch games that were mature content games. Such a rude realization for a parent who apparently had a false sense of security because she spent and hour going thru and setting up a "child's" account.

• Kondrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is that parents aren't monitoring what their kids watch, and it's frustrating to have to ban (and report) viewers because they see my "don't discuss age" bot message, and they think that means they need to say "I'm 10!". If you don't ban/report, your channel can get in trouble for not upholding the ToS.

Really, I think the issue would be decreased a lot just by having the Xbox app rated "Teen" instead of "Everyone". Maybe at least then any consoles with parental lock enabled would keep the underage kids from getting into chat.

• R.S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps Parents need to exert some control here. There are site rules that would lockout bad behavior so that should work. Why insert age bias (young or old) to system?

• Jack Pipsam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to disagree. Games like Halo 3 force themselves into an 18+ stream and so actually forcing the lock-out of anyone under seems really unfair.

There should be a degree of flexibility which rigid lockout's won't give, all it would do is force under 18s to make new accounts lying about their real age.

• IXxPSYCHOSISxXI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Parental guidance is just that. For the parents. It's not Mixer's job to protect you from your selves. You have been given an awesome platform to grow a great community. Let's not weigh it down with wasted UI. You have ability with moderators to ban and block unwanted users from your streams already. I f you're worried about some kid seeing something inappropriate then you probably shouldn't be doing it on MIXER in the first place. As it is probably a violation of their user agreement.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base