Help us make Mixer better for everyone.

Option for deleted messages not to show to streamer

What if Beam had an option where the streamer could opt to not show deleted messages from chat, but the messages still showed to the mods? This way, if you have a mod team that's on the ball, then when they remove an inappropriate message, the streamer isn't getting distracted by how terrible some of these messages can get? In a lot of cases, the streamer will never even see the messages, making the whole point of trolling a fruitless endeavor, but the mods will still have proof of the messages and can report and ban as necessary.

I know there are many streamers that, while they know trolls are just looking for attention, can still be very hurt by some of the messages they post and having those still staring them in the face even after being deleted causes a serious distraction. This would allow the mods to do what they do best, and let the streamer focus on the stream free of unwanted distraction.

56 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Davkas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • xcentrik4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears that some folks have missed that this is proposed as an OPTION. It would be the streamer's OPTION to use the feature. If you want full control of your chat? Don't use it. If you trust your mods, and want to not be bothered by what trolls do, then use it! You KNOW trolls exist, if you don't want to deal with it, and let your moderators do their job, then use this OPTION. You are the STREAMER and your job is to provide entertainment. Your moderators are to TEND TO CHAT. Anytime the STREAMER is interrupted by something that was said (that nobody else likely saw), is to interrupt the stream and frankly, give a bad taste to the viewers who came to watch a streamer, not hear that streamer defend themselves because of a troll. For those keeping score at home - Trolls WANT to interrupt your flow, get you off balance. This OPTION would be another tool to prevent the trolls from being successful. I vote for this feature.

• Davkas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You very much misunderstand how Beam operates then. For one, I'm not saying the streamer should absolve themselves with this. I'm saying during the stream, the streamer should not have to deal with this type of behavior when you have good mods that can do it for you. After the stream, if there was anything major that happened during the stream in chat, I always review it with the mods so that if it hasn't already been handled, it can be handled accordingly. I always know what happens in my chat, even if it's delayed a few minutes. I also know that the Beam staff are not going to shut down my channel for something that someone else said in chat. Worst case scenario, the offending viewer will be banned. I always operate within the ToS, so Beam will not ban me since I am following the rules as a streamer. I know full well that what happens in chat is my responsibility, but I also know that it is also the responsibility of the viewer in chat to take responsibility for their actions as well. The Beam staff makes every attempt to give someone the benefit of the doubt and investigate fully before straight up deleting a channel. I've talked to many of the head staff, I know this as fact. This is, yet again why I say this should be OPTIONAL. If you feel the need to watch everything that goes on in your chat in real time while you stream, then don't use the option. Again, I trust my mods that if something goes down that I need to be aware of, I can be notified during stream and I will handle it accordingly. No streamer gets their stream shut down because of something someone else says in chat. The person saying the offending comments is who gets the ban-hammer. If you don't believe me, that's fine, I'm going off of what I know from being on this site for almost 2 years now since the early days and have seen the site grow. I know how the Beam staff operates because I talk to them about this stuff regularly. I wouldn't put something like this in the hands of my mods if I knew my stream were on the line because of something some troll in chat says. A stream only gets removed if the streamer is outside ToS, not someone else in chat. A mod gets out of line, they get removed and banned from the channel, simple as that. This really isn't rocket science.

• Omega 696 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm amazed how you manage to miss the point, multiple times.
    If something happens in your chat and Beam get involved, and you say "I didn't know because I had turned it off because I trust my mods and didn't want to be disturbed/upset by the comments." No matter how much you trust your mods to handle things, You are still responsible, if, and lets choose the worst thing that they could do, shut down your channel. You have no recourse, you have no come back, you have no way to defend the actions, because you didn't know all you have to rely on is what you have been told, because you never saw the statements made in person. Beam may see the chat log log in full, but beyond reading it or watching the VOD, and we all know how well big companies like google and youtube handle complaints, and infringements, always balanced and fair, so of course they will watch it... right. You have no comeback when they click delete on your channel. But you know at least you weren't disturbed or upset by the comment. Seeing the messages even deleted ones is for YOUR protection as much as doing it protects the channel. If you don't get that then you are in a lot more trouble beyond just running a streaming channel. Sticking your head in the sand is no defence, it never has been, and relying on the hope it may never happen is down right negligent, to yourself, your mods that you are expecting to act as a buffer to your sensibilities, and doing them a disservice by doing so, and the people watching your channel and interacting in the chat.
    Rule one Protect yourself from any form of fallout, rule two protect your mods, and then protect your channel.
    To come back to a point I just made, You are expecting your mods to read all these messages, to act as a buffer to protect your sensibilities, and to stop you being distracted/upset, what about them, won't they be upset, shouldn't you shoulder that burden with them at the time it happens, apparently not according to you. You are effectively saying as well I don't care if you get upset, as long as I don't and I have made that choice by clicking this "Option". That's just bad form.

Again, I will stress that this is why I want this to be an option. Not all streamers run their chat the same way. If you feel like this would not work for your chat and moderators, don't use it. I've talked to several people, however, that feel like they would absolutely make use of this and that it would greatly improve the quality of the stream for both the viewers and the streamers.

While I agree that ultimate responsibility for what happens in chat falls to the streamer, the streamer cannot manage everything once you reach a certain number of viewers in chat. It isn't putting your head in the sand, it is delegating the responsibility of running chat to the moderators, which is exactly what a moderator is for. Plus, the messages are still there in the chat logs since they aren't fully deleted.

I believe this is a difference in opinion of how people run their chat, and ultimately this is why I believe this should be optional. I, and several others, fully trust the moderators we have selected to help with our chat, and we know that if another mod oversteps their boundaries, the others will come to the streamer with it. We have also selected our moderators because we know they WON'T overstep their boundaries. I also know that if something major happens in chat that requires my attention (i.e. something a moderator is unable to handle, which isn't much), they will let me know so I can handle it.

Regardless of it you trust your mods or not, you can't just shut yourself off from what may be going on in YOUR chat. It's your char and you need to be aware of it. Hiding behind a wall of moderators so you don't see hurtful comments or troll messages means that you have abdicated responsibility for the goings on in your chat to other people. If you don't know what is going on You are liable for that regardless. The time a mod steps out of line and abuses their power, the first time time someone gets removed from chat for no offence but an overzealous reaction, the troll in chat that is stirring up feelings in the chat that leads to one or more person or person being subvertly bullied through multiple accounts. Something which not every mod could see if they aren't in every stream, you are still responsible for what goes on; Sticking your head in the sand and saying *I trust my mods completly* will no absolve you of responsibility because you stuck your head in the sand and flipped an option to not get upset or distracted. You want people to trust you and build a relationship with them, then they will want you to be an active figure enforcing the moral standards you set in your chat. The mods may represent your authority, but you are still responsible for YOUR stream at the end of the day, being distracted or upset that someone made those comments is a poor excuse for not owning that responsibility. I hate to say it, but if you don't like it, then record videos and turn of comments., because engaging with the chat if things happens reinforces that there is a structure to any policing and allows you to explain why actions were taken beyond a mod posting a line of text that can get swallowed in quick chats. Why was X band, he was causing issues for several users because his comments were derogatory or baiting to several users and this isn't acceptable behaviour. It informs and reinforced to chat an educational point for users who may have trouble understanding why a chat "friend" was banned.

This is why your mods should ALWAYS people you know and trust. This is also why this should be as the title suggests, an option. While yes, the streamer does have the ultimate authority as to what happens in chat, if you have good moderators that know the streamer and the rules well, the mods become an extension of that authority. If the streamer does not trust their mods, don't use the feature. That decision is up to the streamer's discretion. That does not mean, however, that it shouldn't at least be there for those that would make good use of it.

• Grim_al_kin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in full agreement with Omega on this one. This is an all around BAD idea. Chat may have it's share of trolls, and some of them CAN say some pretty hurtful things, but at the end of the day, the authority here is the streamer and by giving mods that kind of power over the stream, you're only leaving yourself open to not only abuses of power but to not knowing what is going on in your own chat. When a post gets deleted by a Mod and you disgree with that mods judgement, you can then bring it up to him or her later.
    Besides, there's a certain satisfying feeling knowing that the Troll was squashed in their tracks without you doing anything and that your Mods have your back :)

This is actually a bad idea. The streamer at the end of the day is the ultimate IN stream authority next to escalating things to Beam level. They need to be aware of Everything so they can monitor for abuse of powers, for continual issues, for people making mistakes that can then be rectified. There has to be full accountability. If you opt not to see what people are doing, then you are leaving yourself open to abuse, or censure because of actions taken on your behalf.

FoulG, even though the streamer might see the message, it would only be for a minute and then it would be gone. The problem now is that even if the message is deleted, it is still visible to the streamer which is often a distraction.

• FoulG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would work well with a Twitch style delay. But with the very near real time of Beam, a streamer would have to not be watching chat much to actually not see troll messages before they were deleted. I agree with the idea, but your mods would have to be lightening fast.

• little wolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes this is a good thing killing off trolling wood be good too but not haveing the streamer distracted by this is sumthing id agree with fully

• Isaac Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would agree with this, the streamer doesnt need chat distractions from trolls so this is a good feature in my eyes

Feedback and Knowledge Base