Help us make Mixer better for everyone.

Follow Button Cooldown (Reduce Empty Follows)

As we all know there has been an increase in the amount of followers that everyone has been gaining in the last month due the Xbox merge. Unfortunately, the vast majority of those followers are empty ones that never return. I was wondering If there could be an optional timer that could be added to the follow button which required a user to be in the stream/typing in chat for a certain amount of time before they were able to hit the Follow button.

25 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Acg1000 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kondrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Nvisible may have misunderstood... The suggestion, when ACG told me about it, was not for a global "cooldown"... just a timer that stops insta-follows by requiring that someone watch for a few minutes before following becomes possible.

As far as the issue with following people who are offline, I would think that the timer should only apply when the streamer is online, and probably only from the actual channel. Then, if someone's following from a shout-out in another channel or something similar, it won't change anything.

Most of the empty follows are people who show up during a stream, follow, then leave before there's even time to react to the follow notification; so if there's any way at all to prevent the insta-follow-leave, I'm all for it.

• LinaBoeckwurm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think the cooldown itself is a great idea, but I indeed feel like there should be done something about the flood of empty follows there are now. At the moment, there are so many empty follows that you can't thank the "real" followers properly, the people who definitely want to come back to your stream.

The thing is, I also like to follow people who are offline that I want to check out just so that I get notified when they go live (so that I can FINALLY catch there streams), and there's also the fact that there are people following someone in a shoutout and the like. Or in the streamer salute.
    I think there should be a different kind of limit on the follow, like The Lord Ares said maybe a certified e-mail. But maybe something else, I don't know what.

• Nvisble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So the only downside I see to your thought is I have had empty followers since day one. This is not a new issue. Besides all streamers do. If we didn't have empty ones, then even the smaller streamer (like myself) would have 400-500 viewers on the regular. This also punishes the new would be real followers that could be denied due to "troll followers", which would totally happen. Users that simply slap a follow button simply to start the cooldown timer so others couldn't.

• Acg1000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the purpose of defeating Lagouts But maybe if it was only active while you were live it would have a better effect. The people that come into follow emptily usually only come when you are live.

CC:xxthelordaresxx

• LordAres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see your idea but it kinda hurts the idea of having lag outs where users follow each other who puts their hand up in chat. Maybe do it where if you want to follow someone you must have a verified email maybe?

Feedback and Knowledge Base