Help us make Mixer better for everyone.

Closed Captioning

It would be useful to have a closed caption option available for each stream so that those who are unable to listen but are able to watch can know what is being said by the streamer. Trying to decipher it from what is being said from chat can be rather difficult.

118 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1madmamma shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Planned  ·  AdminMixer Team (Product Owner, Mixer) responded  · 

Hi all! Just to keep you in the loop, currently our CC is still only for our large events, like E3 production shows. We’re still researching building a more robust captioning system that can be used for all channels. This is definitely still on our radar and I will share more specific details as soon as I can.

Thanks!
Tara

28 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey wonder the mixer streaming have closed caption cause I have hard time understand them saying while they playing I’m hearing impaired

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CC would be incredible helpful! I have a hard time hearing when I'm watching regular TV/movies or videos on Facebook/Youtube/etc, so I generally have subtitles on with those. Would be extremely helpful to have a CC option on Mixer! I hope it's in the works.

• TheGuntar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CC would go right along with the able gamer commercial shown during the Superbowl. This really should be a huge priority for Mixer. I know I have an issue hearing and I use CC at home on my TV. I use most everywhere except Mixer. Why...?

I do enjoy it where I can find it on Mixer, but that is a per Streamer option currently.

• Joseph Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this may not be a priority for Mixer, the fact that Microsoft already owns Mixer, is leveraging Azure services for the backend (assuming this one), it would only be the next logical step for Mixer to leverage MS Azure Speech to Text from the cloud and enable Closed Captioning on streams with the click of a button. Opening up Accessibility to everyone is going to give a HUGE boost to Mixer as Twitch and YouTube don't have real-time closed captioning available on their platforms. The ability to have that as an option will give a huge boost to the platform that does it first, as the Deaf and Hard of Hearing communities are ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR A HOME when it comes to content creation. On Twitch we have started using Webcaptioner.com as a stopgap measure until one of the streaming platforms decides that accessibility is a priority. With all of the talk about "inclusiveness" on streaming platforms, the Deaf and Hard of Hearing communities fall under that "inclusiveness" banner. Let's make the world more accessible to ALL gamers and viewers please!

i would love for my friend to be able to know exactly what i am saying in real time. Out of all the things you can do on a computer these days and this is what we get

• Joseph Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? It’s been over a year and it would be nice to have accessibility for deaf and hard of hearing viewers since they are unable to enjoy much of the content on any livestream platforms. With video games requiring ACS support starting Jan 1, 2019 it would be great to see Mixer beat Twitch to the punch on accessibility.

• Wesley Diaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

add Closed Caption PLEASEEE!! i watch you guys tip and trick on mixer and i dont understand at all its unfair :( idk if i should switch back to twitch..

• Tanya Janca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When do you plan to add CC? It's important to me that all people watching cna understand.

• AdminMixer Team (Product Owner, Mixer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Inclusive Mum! Currently our CC is only for our large events, like E3 production shows. We're still working on building a more robust captioning system that can be used for all channels. This is definitely still on our radar.

Thanks!
    Tara

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mixer Team, any update on this? Been using a website called webcaptioneer for now.

• InclusiveMum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I read on the previous Feedback Portal post regarding CC that it would be unrolled at E3. I didn't see it mentioned but could have missed it. I have searched in Mixer to enable captions but haven't found it. How do I do this or when is the ETA for it?

• InclusiveMum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did this unroll at E3? I didn't see it. When will it be available or if it is, where can it be enabled? I have searched and not found it. Thank you!

I cannot upvote this enough! I'm not hearing impaired but everyone should have a chance to enjoy gaming

• Esva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see where this would be useful, but also problematic. Speech to text can be notoriously hit or miss with what your trying to say, not to mention it can easily pick up other audible sources, spill over from the headset being too loud, environmental factors.

With that said though if it could be fine tuned enough, and get a decent hit / miss ration on correct wording, this could be an awesome thing to implement, so It gets my vote

• Jarod Franklin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be a great idea for people who can't hear and they can also experience a really cool Live stream like the rest of us again

• MEGAMANZEROFAN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Missing feature that could help other viewers if there watching late at night or for people who can't hear or for people who just like to read.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base