Help us make Mixer better for everyone.

Auto host when offline

I want to be able to specify which streamers to automatically host when my channel goes offline, in order of which I want it to attempt to host.

This is useful for retaining audience on 24/7 streams, when having technical difficulties.

266 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

YouPlay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • KensonPlays commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree with NightmareJoker. Auto-Hosting is very nice, especially if you select others in your stream teams. I like what Valsis posted, though.

• Valsis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I seriously love this idea to the point I took the time to make a mock-up on how it could work in the platform.

This mock-up (link below) will help visualize the requested idea to possibly be implemented in the platform.

https://i.imgur.com/EiMZugr.jpg

• Digital Frost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this idea very very much. I've tried several bot solutions an none of them have worked properly or at least the way i'd want them to. Having a auto host built into mixer to where we could just select people that we want to host would be amazing. Not so sure how it would effect the audience retention but it would seriously be a major convenience an one less thing a streamer has to worry about running on his/her machine.

While I do keep my PC on pretty much 24/7 there are times were I don't want my bot running for various reasons. Or perhaps I've taken my system offline to run some maintenance on it or something. Why should I not be able to support people in the community by hosting them just because I needed to do a clean up or whatever. Since I joined mixer it's always been about the community as a whole not just the needs/wants of a few. This really does seem like it would benefit everyone in the long run.

• GunGirl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nightmare, the drawback to a bot is that you have to have it running to cycle through the hosts. I don't know anyone that keeps a PC on 24/7 And when a stream.os a way from home for any reason it allows them to help out the rest of the community. Big pict bro.
    ❤🔫♀️

• NightmareJoker2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, no. I understand your audience is important to you as a streamer, and that you'd like to keep people around on your channel page to have a higher viewer count and the resulting increase in exposure on the channels overview when you come back, this, similar to VoD auto-play, is not what hosting does. Even though your viewers typically can watch (and now chat in) the hosted channel from your page, most of them will either quickly navigate to the hosted channel or navigate away because they are not interested in it. Worse still, if they are new and unfamiliar with the system, they will be confused and think they are still watching your live content, when they are not. And though that last group is quite the minority, it is still larger than those who stay.
    I am also one of those extremely rare and unusual people who lurks in a lot of channels (there are not many, you can count them on one hand), simply because it is more convenient for me to keep the tab open and keep my PC running, even when I'm not there. These channels are of course not all live at the same time or I couldn't do that (video decoding and playback requires computing resources, which are limited). And though, hosting a channel would mean that you are passing one viewer onto your hostee (and from what I could tell, unless the analytics system is broken, with the exception of 3 channels who have up to three, it usually is just me who has the full page and not just chat open), if all the over 50 tabs I tend to have open started playing video at all times without interruption, I would need to close a significant number of them, and that would bother me, give you no lurkers to pass on, and thus leave everyone unhappy.
    You can add to that, if you were thinking of "supporting smaller streamers", as in primarily those who have no Pro subscription, and thus no transcodes, who are in their large majority streaming in 1080p from their Xbox One consoles, that those types of broadcasts are most strenuous in terms of video decoding, the largest source of video playback problems, and that I regularly have to pause them to free CPU resources, which ultimately means I do no longer count as a viewer for them.

If you truly want auto-hosting, for whatever misguided reason, please use a bot which offers such functionality instead, and do it with the knowledge that these people like me, who lurk in your channel even when you are not live, do likely not appreciate it.

• GunGirl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a partner i would love to see this idea be put into action. Auto-hosting would make it so that i could constantly send my lurkers off to another stream to support. It would be a great way to show support to other streamers in the community as well as help out some small streamers that work so hard just to get a few viewers into their streams and maybe get noticed. This needs to happen sooner rather than later please. <3 GG

• o30c commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen. Only being able to host someone while THEY'RE online thus turning you offline. So backwards!

• BobDuckNWeave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this needs to happen, adds value to people streaming as individuals but also under a brand.

• JBJblaze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sweet! I'm the 50th weirdo to vote this up! Seriously, though, I'm wanting to run my channel kind of like a radio. When I'm not livestreaming, I want someone else getting the thunder, and that person may be offline after I fall asleep.
    So, yes, I totally like this idea! :D

• MrLethalM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You know.. the one thing that this should also include is the ability for a streamer (the hosted) to be able to say not to allow auto hosting.

• leasoncre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Auto hosting, yes. love it.
    a few things though to make it work for everyone:
    Hoster-side:
    +Prioritize channels to be auto-hosted (top of list gets higher priority, and gets hosted first, or higher listed channel goes live and lower channel would get bummed off the hosting by that channel
    +Priority hosting, Random hosting(randomly hosts from a list of channels or all live channels), or offline re-hosting(when a hosted channel goes offline, a new channel is selected by priority or random)

Viewer side:
    +Auto-play hosted channels (current default) --OR-- Disable auto-play hosting (shows that that current channel is hosting , but doers not play the content)
    +forward me to hosted channel automatically (re-directs the viewer to the hosted channel's page upon hosting event (URL-auto-redirect)) NOTE: this only happens at the initial time of the hosting, not if the viewer comes to the channel after the streamer has hosted.

• shufunk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea but it can get annoying. If you are one of those casters that is known to have their stream go on and off a lot and you had this turned on you can crash the viewers browser easily with it trying to go back and forth from your channel to the host and vice versa. Personally this will be a great feature for at least pro/partner

Feedback and Knowledge Base