Help us make Mixer better for everyone.

Make whispers have their own box

I really like how twitch does its whispers. Having a separate area for sending/receiving prevents one from accidentally sending a whisper to the wrong person, or broadcasting it in chat.

263 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

YouPlay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Under Review  ·  AdminMixer Team (Product Owner, Mixer) responded  · 

There are some exciting opportunities to leverage Xbox Live’s persisted chat infrastructure to help us build out an awesome Beam messaging/whispering/alerting system, and we’re evaluating the best “Beam friendly” way to present this now. No ETA on a release, but would love feedback on this feature.

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • NSANE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A warning: when I started using Twitch, I thought that whispers and PMs were the same thing. Please don't copy Twitch and allow only PMs that are stored somewhere, and also add that preview window if you want, but DON'T make them separate systems.

• CyborgJellyfish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly as Kondrik commented - where it comes from, what the message is. Would be amazing in my opinion as you'd see what channel your friends like checking out and have the option to also jump to that channel and join in.

On the other hand, there should be a privacy setting in play where you can hide the stream you are in from people who aren't on your contact list so you don't get trolled/stalked by strangers wanting to pick a fight. Just my feedback on this, others may vary.

• DIPDIPOTATOCHIP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would you be able to add an area of chat that is exclusive to whispers and chats you are mentioned in.
    One thing I noticed at the Xbox E3 is that chat can by very very fast and you can easily miss chats to you, as the chat will expire as well and not be viewable in the history. with this method, you will see stuff directed at you appears in the top (as per bad paint example).

This would allow you in essence to have two chat windows and allow conversation even in a busy mixer chat.

• LordOfTheUndead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding Kondriks comment, they could just appear underneath the little bell icon we now have for notifications

• KensonPlays commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be awesome. I'd like it something like Twitch does, as little boxes that pop up, also similar to Facebook Messenger on desktop.

• Kondrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would say that a good implementation would be to just have whispers so to an inbox somewhere. Probably with a label that says where the whisper happened.

"Message From: _____ On channel: _____

• Sir_Oswyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we should have the ability to message other people on beam this would be helpful for multiple things.
    1, Someone wins a giveaway but they didn't see your message where they could get there a reward you can go and then direct message them.
    2, simply wanting to connect with other people but not knowing where to message them on other platforms.

And a lot of other things that I'm probably missing it could be very helpful just to have a in chat where people can chat with other people and not be having to go somewhere else to have a private chat ( I know that there are Whispers but those can be lost very easily in the mess of the chat)

• MrLethalM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe make a chat box kind of like facebooks. It lets you have a list of whispers and also to have a tab down the bottom for recent ones.

Might be useful to have beam also have a "friends" option for streamers that follow each other.

• EvilNotion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish Whispers showed up both in chat as they do now, AND went to a separate tab in case you missed them. Similar to how WoW would do back in the day (when I played)

• LinaBoeckwurm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would also resolve the problem of not finding a link someone has whispered to you, just because you had the refresh the page or accidentally close the tab.
    Even if they don't do the seperate chat box, reading old whispers after refreshing the page should still be an option.

• Maeka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah I have missed whispers because they just scroll by in chat and I might not be paying attention. Having a separate window for them would be really good.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes you are talking to a friend of yours on beam (beam friends only) and you're having a nice and interesting chat, while the stream ends, ssometimes you have to keep that channel's chat open to keep whispering since everyone will go to different channels.

It will be a great idea to have a whispers cross chats/channels, so if I whisper to someone, that person will receive my message no matter where he's at. If they are not in any chat it will just say, that the person is not online right now :)

• 2Cubed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would prefer this to be either toggleable or in *addition* to the inline whispers.

• seven8time commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i've seen way too many whispers have typos that reveal everything to the entire chat. a separate DM area would be great.

Feedback and Knowledge Base